How to properly position your mosquito trap
The location of the trap is crucial!
Once the trap and the attractant have been chosen, the effectiveness of the trap will depend greatly on its location in the garden or in the area to be protected.
The common mistake is to position the trap in relation to us and not in relation to mosquitoes.
That is to say, we are not going to set the trap in the middle of the terrace, on the lawn or by the pool, in these places the female mosquito will only be attracted by a prey.
On the contrary, an attempt will be made to position the trap(s) in mosquito resting areas.
The mosquito’s main enemy is dehydration, what it fears most is the sun and wind.
That is why he will try to protect himself by taking refuge in the relatively humid and shaded areas of the garden, in the vegetation, foliage, or hedges. It is therefore in these areas that the traps) must be positioned.
Some additional points:
- Bamboo hedges, despite a very aesthetic and practical aspect in the breeze, are very favorable areas for tiger mosquitoes to protect themselves, especially since the dead leaves on the ground serve as larval nest with water retention after a storm.
- The mosquito is able to travel 50 meters when attracted by the carbon dioxide we release when breathing, so it is unnecessary to have the trap close to the area to be protected.
- The trap should be positioned downwind, especially for CO2-releasing traps.
- It is always appropriate to position the trap between the mosquito breeding area and the area to be protected. The mosquito will pass through the trap before reaching the area you are trying to protect. If you have a messy neighbor, an abandoned pool… you should put the trap as close as possible to these troubled areas, always keeping in mind that the trap should not be in full sun.
- Up close, the mosquito needs to see the trap and make out its shape so do not hide it under a bush.
- In a garden, the ideal location sometimes appears obvious, but it is often a matter of compromise, so don’t hesitate to move the trap and test several locations.
Feel free to share your experiences with us